Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

Well, Yesterday was the day for mother's. I am not yet a mother, but I can celebrate my friends and family that are! And what a gorgeous day to do so :)

 My mother isn't big into family gatherings, she's quite a simple woman- a card and a phone call will suffice. I, on the other hand, would love to host a big lavish get together for every occasion (I say that now, however, after all of the prep and clean-up I may feel differently!). So, we went middle of the road and went over to my in-laws to spend some time with my lovely mother and father-in-law.

 I had to, of course, make dessert to bring along. A quaint little orchard near my in-laws sells these amazing fruit tarts and ever since I tried the first one, I've been trying to find one to match it... I'm still looking. But this is the one I tried yesterday:

Crust:

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling:

  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping:

  • Fresh strawberries and blueberries

Glaze:

  • 1 (6-ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch 
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar


The filling was great- fruit is fruit- the crust wasn't my favorite. I think I would prefer a confectioner's sugar version, like the one below:

Crust:
  •  1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened and sliced

 I'll have to try this one next time- I'll let you know how it turns out!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, I know I did! Enjoy the beautiful weather this week :)

CW

No comments:

Post a Comment