Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Oatmeal Cookie Chunk Ice Cream


I am so excited to be able to share this recipe with you! I had an obsession with Ben & Jerry's Oatmeal Cookie Chunk ice cream. Well, of course, they laid that flavor to rest earlier this year. Then, I found an Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream by HERSHEY's at a local ice cream shop. Well, of course, they're closed for the season.

I decided it was time to find a recipe that's just as good. My first attempt was NOT good. The main ingredient was 16oz of sour cream. YEA, I was skeptical to begin with. The texture was nice and rich, but the tartness was horrible! Then, I found a second recipe which sounded good, but I thought I could make it better. And I did- atleast I did according to my husband!

The original recipe is from a great blog called Dinner or Dessert. The recipe is below, with my additions in orange. ENJOY!




Oatmeal Cookie Chunk Ice Cream 
makes about 1 quart

2 c. heavy cream I used a little less than 2 c. heavy cream
I added 1/4 c. sour cream
1 c. whole milk
2 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
I added 1/4 c. brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
I added 1/8 tsp nutmeg
9 oatmeal cookies, broken into small pieces
1/2 c. milk chocolate chunks (optional) I used 2.5 ounces of shaved semisweet chocolate

Mix the milk, heavy cream together in a pan over medium-low heat. Heat the milk mixture for 10 minutes or until it reaches 140°F and then remove it from the heat. In a bowl, beat the eggs until lighter in color and fluffy. Add the sugar to the egg mixture very slowly. Then slowly whisk the milk mixture into the egg & sugar mixture to temper the eggs. If you added the milk to the egg mixture quickly then the hot milk would cook the eggs and you would have scrambled eggs, you don't want that! Add the sour cream. Now add the the entire egg/sugar/milk mixture into a pot and heat over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove mixture from the heat and pour it into a clean bowl and refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour. Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg and freeze the ice cream according to your ice cream maker's manufacturer instructions. I added half of the oatmeal cookie pieces into the ice cream mixture 5 minutes before it was done mixing and then folded in the rest, as well as the chocolate,  after removing the ice cream from the ice cream maker.



No comments:

Post a Comment