Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Grandmom South's Baked Mac & Cheese

This dish has been a staple at any holiday dinner we have ever had in the South Residence (my dad's side). At least that I can remember.

The usual spread consists of the following: ham or turkey-sometimes both, gravy (somehow, it was always my job to make this- appointed by my grandfather), baked mac, mashed potatoes, corn, beets, dinner rolls, deviled eggs and a fresh vegetable and fruit tray... oh, and we can't forget the apple and pumpkin pies! It was always quite a feast!

Unfortunately, my grandmother passed away in 2007. She and my maternal grandmother really taught me everything I know about cooking, and most things domestic. My mom's strong suit is cleaning, but she's not big into sewing/crafts or cooking/baking (sorry mom, but I think you would willingly admit this). My dad always says I was born decades too late, seeing as how much I adore the domestic, slow-paced, home-grown life.

Anyway, my paternal grandmother, whose recipe this is, NEVER wrote anything down. She did everything from memory and added a little of this or that, depending on how the dish tasted. Before she passed away, I was getting old enough to realize that once she was gone, all of our favorite recipes would be gone with her if I didn't write them down, so that's what I did, hence the simplistic, to-the-point recipe below :)

Grandmom South's Baked Mac & Cheese
1 box elbow macaroni
10 oz. Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
MUST be cracker barrel- I have used other brands and nothing has the same flavor
Whole or 2% Milk (eyeball this- fill the 13x9 pan a little less than 1/2 full)
You must use whole or 2%, I have used skim and it really takes away from the flavor


Preheat over to 325-350 degrees

Cook the macaroni as directed on the box. Drain and set aside. Pour drained macaroni into a greased 13x9" pan and sprinkle with cheese. Fill the pan about 1/2 full with milk. Top with bread cubs if desired. Cover with foil and bake for one hour. If you like your edges a little crisp, take the foil off for the last 10 minutes in the oven. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. :-) Only Cracker Barrel for my grandmother, too ~ almost exactly her recipe, except she added an egg ~ how I miss her! :-)

    ReplyDelete