Sunday, July 15, 2012

Coppa Cafe

I am usually not a huge fan of coffee desserts. Seeing as I don't like coffee to drink, I don't find that surprising. However, my MIL and FIL frequent a restaurant called "Villagio" in Peddler's Village, where once upon a time they had these delicious little desserts called Coppa Cafe. They consisted of a chocolate and coffee syrup that was poured into the bottom of a tall, but little, iced glass and then swirled up the sides... then they added soft serve vanilla ice cream... and some more chocolate/coffee syrup... AND chocolate covered coffee beans... and more soft serve vanilla... topped off with whipped cream... and more chocolate covered coffee beans.

THEY WERE DELICIOUS!!

However, I did say once upon a time... that is because they have been replaced by some strawberry version monstrosity.

So, for father's day, I decided to concoct my own. They were similar, and good, but still not quite as good as the original. I have no coffee in my house... nor a coffee maker. So rather than vanilla ice cream, I used coffee to incorporate that flavor. I also couldn't find chocolate covered coffee beans in a pinch, so I used mini M&Ms.



Here's what you'll need to make your own:



Elizabeth Lou's Coppa Cafe

Serves 6-8

1/2 gallon of Coffee Ice Cream
1/2 cup Hot Fudge
1/4 cup Mini M&Ms
1/2 container Cool Whip
6 small, tall glasses

1. Chill glasses for about 10-15 minutes in the freezer.
2. Warm up hot fudge so that it is somewhat runny, enough so that you can pour a tablespoon into the bottom of each glass and spread it about half way up the sides. Place the glasses back in the freezer after this step.
**I used small tumblers from IKEA for the glasses- actually my husband's "beer tasting" glasses
3. Take a frozen glass out of the freezer and place an ice cream scoop fill of coffee ice cream into the bottom of the glass, followed by a dollop of cool whip and a sprinkle of mini M&Ms. Repeat.
**Or until your glass is full- as you can see, I couldn't fit the last dollop of cool whip- so I just used a drizzle of hot fudge... be creative use whatever layering technique you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment