Wednesday, July 18, 2012

How-To: Birdie Plush

I knew instantly that I wanted to make this adorable little plush birdie toy I saw somewhere in my blog/pinterest/etsy travels for Everleigh's nursery. There isn't really a "theme" however, one of the fabrics I used for her quilt has these adorable little love birds on it, so that is somewhat the theme I guess!

Anyway, as usual, I just kind of flew-by-the-seat-of-my-pants (what kind of an expression is that anyway?!) There is no pattern for this, however, if you'd like to make your own, I'd be happy to make something up for you...

1) I simply made a rectangle for the body,  a half circle for the head and wings, and long feet. You can see all my pieces below (I had already sewn the head onto the body and cut out the beak). You will need two pieces of fabric for each body part. Make sure when you cut them, you have right sides facing together.


2) The next step was to sew on the eyes and the beak. I simply used embroidery thread for the eyes, and outlined in pencil the shape that I wanted, then used that as my pattern.


3) The next step is to sew the wings and feet, right sides together, then turned them right side out and press them.



4) Next I pinned the wings and feet to the front side of the bird. I allowed for about a 1/4" seam- make sure none of your body parts or pins are in the seam allowance- your sewing machine won't like this! Also... I learned the hard way since I didn't follow a pattern (that's what I get!) NOW would be the time to sew on the decorative teal stitches to "connect" the head and body. 



5) When all of your pieces are placed, place the two body pieces, right sides together, and sew them using a 1/4" seam! Remember to leave a space at the bottom large enough to turn the birdie inside out and fit stuffing in.

6) TA DA! The finished birdie plush






No comments:

Post a Comment