Friday, September 14, 2012

Jell-O Frosting Cupcakes

I came across this recipe from Coleen's Recipes on Pinterest. I was very intrigued by the fact that someone found a way to use Jell-O as a frosting... hm. I decided to try it because, if it was good, I would be able to make some pretty cool combinations of cupcakes and frosting!


Jell-O Frosting

Ingredients:
3 ounce pkg. of Jello (favorite flavor)

2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla


Instructions: 

Place the above ingredients in a large GLASS OR METAL mixing bowl (OF A STAND MIXER). Turn the mixer on high just as you add ½ cup of boiling water. Whip on high for about five minutes. The result will be a beautifully whipped, smooth frosting. 

MY OPINION: The flavor was truly that of the Jell-O of your choosing. It was very odd to me to eat what I usually have as a gelatin treat on a cupcake. But, I figure the kiddos would probably love it. 

I was thrilled with the texture of the frosting when I first piped it onto the cupcakes. However, the next day, when these pictures were taken, you can see all of the little air bubbles that appeared throughout the frosting. I hadn't been a huge fan of the flavor combination to begin with ("strawberry" Jell-O and vanilla cupcake) so the next day, when the texture went from smooth and creamy to air bubbly I had lost all interest. These literally sat in my refrigerator for over a week. That NEVER happens with baked goods!




My husband picked at them throughout the week, he seemed to like them more than I. I think kids would love them, but I just couldn't get my pallet wrapped around the gelatin Jell-O and cake combination!

Try them out on your family and see what they think!



No comments:

Post a Comment