Saturday, September 3, 2011

How-To- The Lazy Girl's Way to Cover Lampshades

For those of you who know me, you may know I tend to be quite impatient at times. I wanted a quick way to recover some lampshades I had for our lamps in the basement. Here is a how to on how to cover lampshades- the lazy girls way...

1) Buy lampshade and desired material.

2) Measure your lampshade and cut the appropriate size fabric. Make sure to allow enough extra for the hem. I allowed 1" for my hems. So, I cut my piece of fabric to 12".

3) Measure and iron your hem down. Again, I used 1" hems.

4) Break out your hot glue gun and start gluing the fabric along the inside rim of the lampshade, making sure you pull your fabric taught. Because my lampshades are a bit smaller at the top, I had to fold my fabric when stretching it along the shade. It actually ended up adding a nice pleat detail

5) Ta Da!  A quick and easy lampshade cover!!


Some tips and tricks:
To get around the wire on the top of the shade I simply cut a slit in the fabric and glued it around the wire.

Some of the pleats I decided to glue down so the look of the shade was more sleek.

Hope I've inspired some of you to recover your boring white lampshades!! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!




No comments:

Post a Comment